Textbooks

Joel asks what should one do when one wishes to depart from the textbook.

There are two reasons one might do so. The first, that the instructor
thinks he sees a better way to do something than the textbook does (e.g.
my preference for using a better definition of weight than Hecht uses)
and when one realizes that the textbook is just plain misleading or even
wrong (e.g. problem #138, p. 288 in Hecht Chapter 8, in the section on
conservation of angular momentum). In both kinds of situation I go
ahead and do it my way. A committee picked the textbook; I had no say
in its choice. The difficulty I have is that these kids paid C$100 for
the book, and I knock it. That does constitute a problem.

Leigh