Re: conservation in rotating frames

At 12:36 PM 10/21/99 -0400, Bob Sciamanda wrote:

If I try to play a game of billiards on a carousel, I will encounter
fictitious centrifugal and coriolis forces. "Fictitious" because there is
no agent for these forces, momentum is not conserved, etc. Eg., if I
carefully set a cue ball down on the table (even an "air table") it
mysteriously acquires "un-caused" horizontal momentum.

I'm going to make a rather subtle point here. If you don't follow the
argument, don't worry -- it's not super-important.

The point is that more things are conserved in rotating frames than you
might at first guess.

1) Let's start with a rotating frame comoving with the center of mass of
the whole system (billiard table, balls, and everything).

1a) There will be a centrifugal field, but we can treat that almost the
same way we treat the gravitational field. We can re-orient the billiard
table so that its surface is an equipotential, to a good-enough
approximation. We define this new orientation to be "horizontal". That
means we can set a ball on the table and it will not undergo any un-caused
movement in the redefined horizontal direction.

1b) Now set two billiard balls on the table, with a firecracker sandwiched
between them. Nothing is moving in the rotating frame, so there are no
Coriolis forces. When the firecracker goes off, the two balls zoom off in
opposite directions. Each experiences a Coriolis force. The interesting
thing is that the two Coriolis forces are equal and opposite. There is a
law of "conservation of coriolicity".

2) In a frame not comoving with the center of mass, i.e. a frame where the
system as a whole has nonzero momentum, then there is an overall "global"
Corolis term, but that can be recognized and subtracted off analytically,
and everything that remains obeys a conservation of coriolicity law.