Re: Linearizing Graphs

I have them do T vs. sqrt(L). I then have them do a regression
analysis, etc. Thus far (he said holding his breath) all the student
have undertood it.

Peter Schoch

Ed Schweber wrote:

Hi all:

This question refers to pendulums (or is it pendula?) as an example, but
is more general.

If we want to force a graph exeperimental data for period, T, of a
pendulum vs its length, L, into being a straight line we usually plot T^2
vs. L. But a graph of T vs sqrt(L) would also be linear and seems to be
easier for students to understand. Is there any reason besides convention
for doing it one way as opposed to the other?

When we linearize data for a discharging capacitor (potential, V, vs.
time, T) I can see an advantage to plottimg lnV vs. T rather than V vs
e^(-t). Is what we do with pendulums just a carry over of this pattern?

Thanks for any input.

Ed Schweber