Re: revision of Newton's Second Law

Leigh wrote:

In a classical mechanics textbook by Synge and Griffith the
Second law is formulated as:
_ _
P = k m f
_ _
where, I interpret, P = phorce and f = fastering. Those guys
must have really hated students!

Leigh

I don't know what edition of Synge & Griffith you are using, Leigh. But in my 1959 edition (3rd ed.), when the 'Law of Motion' is introduced (p. 27), they write it as:
_ _
F = kma
_ _
where F and a are bolded to indicate vectors. The constant k is described as 'a universal positive constant, the value of which depends only on the choice of units of force, mass, length, and time.'
_ _
F, m, and a are the usual force, mass, and acceleration.

Sounds like they must have corrected confusing nomenclature from an earlier edition.

Rondo Jeffery
Weber State University
Ogden, UT 84408-2508
rjeffery@weber.edu