Re: Weightlessness

In a message dated 10/17/99 8:34:39 AM Central Daylight Time,
romanza@MBOX3.SINGNET.COM.SG writes:

Camp 1 uses the definition of weight as gravitational force. So can I assume
that these camp 1 intellectuals believe that there is no true
weightlessness
for any object in a gravitational field?

Rom

Rom,

Since none of the intellectuals in Camp 1 seem to be responding, I'll give it
a shot.

I do not consider an astronaut orbiting the earth weightless.

Assume now, that I can find another universe devoid of mass. I now place the
astronaut in this universe. Is the astronaut weightless?

First, I could consider the astronaut to be a single object and then conclude
that the astronaut has no weight, because there is no other mass to interact
with.

However, I could also consider the astronaut's head as one object, and the
rest of his body as another object and calculate the weight.

Bob Carlson