Re: web page help

You need to understand what type of topology you would like your site to
have. Do you want them to link in a tree hierarchical structure, a star
configuration, a circular pattern (not recommended).

Remember, your site (by good design criteria adopted by we certified
webmasters) should:

1. be easily navigable. A menu of choices must always be present,
either at the top, side, or bottom.

2. remember to design for EVERYONE. If you design frames for a 19"
monitor and P3 machine, anyone with a Pentium and 15" is going to HATE
you.

3. if you use CSS, the page should look good even if they DO NOT load.
Remember that NN and IE don't handle CSS the same way, and won't for the
forseeable future.

4. don't get too cutesy with animation and NEVER use the BLINK tag!
The animation may take a terribly long time to load, some people may
have it turned off on their machines, and the BLINK tag is just
considered poor taste and tacky.

5. keep it to light backgrounds and dark text. Someone may need to
print this, and their printer may not like it otherwise. Also, if you
GIF for background use a light one with dark text. If someone sets
their browser to not load graphics, the background will not load.

6. please make it dynamic, in that it should be updated regularly!
There is nothing worse than a stagnant site.

I would suggest one hint as to style/content/form. Surf a few sites for
colleges of comparable size and scope, preferably with dept.'s also of
comparable size and scope. Get a few ideas, NOTE ALL THE BAD STUFF, and
then start laying it out on paper. Once you have a working model on
paper, then start on the actual creation. Finally, remember, nothing
here is carved n stone -- if it doesn't work for you, you can always
change it.

As for links, visit a few sites, and either link to their pages -- or
download the pages and create your own.

Good Luck,
Peter Schoch
Sussex County Community College

Leon Leonardo wrote:

Greetings,

I've been assigned the task of creating a web page for
my physics department at El Camino College. Our
department consists of 3.5 full-time instructors all
of whom claim they will use the web page for
assigments, links, etc(?).I've also just enrolled in a
course on Front Page which I've been encouraged to use
for the web page construction.

Is there any agreement on what constitutes the ideal
web page? Any addresses? Any suggestions?

Leon

=====