Re: A weighty subject

My point is that there is no fundamental physics which gives
much of a damn
about "weight" per se so there is not much value in arguing over its
definition -- certainly not in an intro class.

Jim Green

My guess is that the above is precisely why we can have such a long and
vigourous debate on this subject.

Jim,

Keep it up. Teach your own definitions to your students.
Perhaps someday
they will pass their data on to NASA as a contractor.
Another crash and
burn. Definitions are important for communication. Change
them through
appropriate means, but please use the accepted definitions
until the change
is accepted. If you don't know what the accepted definition
is, then look
it
up. All sources I look at say the same thing.

Bob Carlson

I have to defend Jim here; although I know from all the heat discussions he
is fully capable of doing so himself. Definitions are important for
communication, it strikes me that Phys-L is the perfect place to discuss and
explore what should be the accepted definition of a technical physics term;
both the theoretical and pedagogical implications. Jim has a point when he
points out that the "accepted" definition is apparently not all that
accepted. There is certainly a significant minority on this list that
doesn't accept it. And he makes an important point when he mentions that a
definition can't be wrong. It might be ill-advised, confusing, non-standard
etc., but it is the whole point of a definition that it is a quantity to be
defined.

Joel