Re: operationally inertial frames

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, John Denker wrote:

Why does one need to demonstrate that? Suppose we have two frames
accelerating relative to each other, and relative to the fixed stars. So
what? The physics is the same in all of them. We can have unphysical
discussions about effects are due to gravity and what are due to
acceleration, but who cares? That would be, as the saying goes, "a
distinction without a difference". Or as another saying goes, "If you
can't tell the difference, it doesn't matter." So my suggestion is to call
them all Newtonian frames and be done with it.

O.K. I can live with this (in fact I essentially do!) as long as you
recognize that Newton himself would not agree. By your definition freely
falling frames *are* Newtonian inertial frames. The only way to rule them
out is to treat gravitational forces as real--not inertial--and to have
enough information to be able to calculate the total gravitational
force--not just that from the earth itself--on each particle. You don't
have that information, so freely falling frames can not be ruled out.