Re: electronic stripes

At 08:29 AM 10/13/99 -0700, Roger Haar wrote:
it
seems that the Player/grass problem is done with something
more advanced than the standard weatherman chroma key. I
have watched closely to see if green uniforms or grass
stains turn yellow, and I have not seen it. Also, I vaguely
remember seeing shadows under players look pretty well done.

That's interesting.

Here's a refinement to my previous guess: remember these days a lot of
this stuff is MPEG-encoded for digital broadcast anyway. MPEG encoders are
verrrry smart about encoding background (non-moving objects) differently
from foreground (moving objects). So in this space it would be relatively
easy to put the stripe above the grass and below the the players -- and
their shadows. I predict that if a green player lies still for long
enough, the stripe would go over him.

copyright (C) 1999 John S. Denker jsd@monmouth.com