Re: A weighty subject

One (you folks should be so lucky) further comment on John's writings

For me, it is because there is no satisfactory operational way to
determine whether or not you are in a so-called "inertial
frame."

I should've picked up on this aspect; as I've repeatedly preached this in
several other contexts on this list. Mea Culpa

This is because I want weight to be tied to the gravitational
(i.e., net
inertial) force as measured in a frame in which the object is not
accelerating. That force is equal in magnitude to the net
*non*gravitational force which is often easier to determine.

This phrase helps me a lot; perhaps it is better to say "weight tied to net
inertial force as measured . . ." and leave out the "gravitational", as I
view gravitational forces as being a subset of inertial forces. But this is
minor quibbling.

Joel