Re: audio feedback

At 19:14 10/12/99 -0700, you wrote:
I am aware that audio feedback is a result of the sound from the speaker
being repeatedly amplified by the microphone. I had a student ask today
what the source of the original sound is and I don't know that one.

It is said to be a bioengineering tour de force that the human ear
can detect sound not very far above the noise of air molecules impacting
randomly on the drum, to sound intensities around 140 db above
2 10^-5 N m^-2

Noise in the audio pass band of an amplifier can be expected with no
initial sound as a consequence of thermal noise.

Unlikely experimental suggestion follows:
'Tinnitus' is a perceived sound or noise in the ears. It can be very
distracting and be a precursor to deafness.
It has been reported that subjects with a well-defined tinnitus tone
can share the sound, if a sensitive microphone is placed in their outer
ear.

i.e there is the possibility of a two way transduction of sound.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK