Re: A weighty subject

Joel Rauber wrote:

...Weight equals the force of gravity. For an object near the surface of
the earth this would have a magnitude of Mg down.

This is the predominate mode in introductory textbooks & I'm guessing a
quick vote of Phys-L would have more votes for this position.

If this is your viewpoint, it seems to me that there is no need to ever
mention the word weight in class. ...

We may decide not to use the word weight (or heat, etc.) but it is part of
language. We can not prevent students from using it. The best we can do
is to focus on the proper use of such words in physics. Or we we may
decide not to teach physics in vernacular. Would Latin be better than
Greek? I am for the vernacular approach.
Ludwik Kowalski