Re: A weighty subject

I appreciate Joel Rauber's attempt to summarize the various points of
view expressed in this thread.

I think his point one is clear (w = mg), and it is the definition I
use. (sorry Leigh, John, et.al.).

I think point two has a problem, and to the extent point two is the
type of thing Leigh and John are advocating, then the problems might be
fairly severe.

When we say that weight is what "the scale says" we can be quite wrong,
depending upon how the scale works. If you mean a spring scale
calibrated in newtons, you might be getting close to okay. Even in
this case I think Joel makes a good point with his buoyancy statement.

But if you are talking about self-calibrating electronic scales (which
typically use an electromagnetic force to balance both a standard and
then the unknown object) then "what the scale says" is actually mass.
And it is correct to say it is doing that. Well... it is mass minus
the buoyancy correction. The buoyancy correction in air is quite small
and could be negligible (depending upon the type of object being
"massed," or the buoyancy correction can be huge (the object is hanging
in water or some other dense fluid.)

Hence, I think that trying to define weight by what some sort of scale
reads is just too difficult. Today, the scale very likely won't even
be reading a force... more likely it is reading mass... and if it is
computerized it is probably doing a darn good job of this so long as
the conditions remain stable as it switches between calibration mode
and measuring mode.

I have heard it said, and think it is probably true, that determining
the mass of something with a good balance is one of the most accurate
things the typical scientist can do. It is certainly the most accurate
thing our students do. We have several $2000 balances that can
determine the mass of a 200-gram object plus or minus about one-tenth
milligram... an accuracy of about one part in 10^6. How many other
things do your students do with that kind of accuracy.

I suppose we could agree to call F = Gm(e)m(o)/r^2 the force of
gravity, and not mention the word weight. But I tend to call this the
weight, and when r is sufficiently close to r(e) then Gm(e)/r(e)^2 has
our customary g of 9.81 m/s^2.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817