Re: infinite square lattice of resistors

Okay, somebody let me in on the trick for the resistance across a single
diagonal of the infinite square lattice of say one-ohm resistors. I'd like
both the elegant solution from symmetry which Leigh implied exists, and I'd
like to know the formal Fourier method to go between any pair of junctions --
or at least a sketch of the basic idea behind the latter if it's very
complicated.

Sorry, Carl. I don't have a simple, elegant solution from symmetry.
As I hinted (and David Bowman knew), the solution is transcendental.
For just that reason I'm quite sure that no solution as simple as
the finite superposition trick for adjacent vertices exists. I just
gave Herb the problem because he was so pleased with himself to have
figured out the cube.

Leigh