Re: A glimpse.

I guess glimpse is the word. Non quantum physics should have many exciting

results and demonstrations on its own. One might argue that at least in
two ways is the classical
mechanics crucial in understanding quantum physics: If a corresponding
classical model exist, the
classical model is used in the quantization procedure. In addition,
according to a well known
interpretation of quantum mechanics classical concepts are significant in
the understanding of the
quantum results (even today with amazing experimental techniques showing
the need for non classical concepts such as entanglement ect)

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

The question is HOW TO ACCOMPLISH THIS? How much is
enough to be worth doing in an introductory course? How much
is one glimpse? In my case they get a micro-glimpse, or less. But
this is because my own background is limited to glimpses. And
this is likely to be typical.
Ludwik Kowalski

Cliff Parker wrote:

.... We are not simply in the business of training people fort
future employment. We are in the education business. If we
allow our students to pass through even an introductory physics
class without raising the curtain a bit, and allowing them a glimpse
of G.R. and quantum physics I think we have done them a
disservice.