Re: free-body diagrams

There would be no end to this approach! What about the force of Mars, the
moon, the local air, etc on m_1?

The course must begin with the caveat that we do not solve any real
problems, we solve MODELS of the real situation - models which we must
create. The question is "what are the SIGNIFICANT forces on the object?"

The essence of doing physics (and engineering) is the art of representing
a real situation (unsolvable in its entire existential reality) by a model
which is 1) solvable and 2) useful - this is of course an iterative
process.

Bob

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)
trebor@velocity.net
http://www.velocity.net/~trebor

"In the hard sciences we mostly talk about models rather than laws. And
if you talk to the people who are working on foundations of mathematics,
they also talk about models. It's certainly true of physics and astronomy
in particular that a law is just a model that we've got used to. . . . I
have enormous respect for Stephen Hawking, but I sometimes think he
doesn't know the difference between a model and the real thing. That's an
occupational disease of theoretical physicists."
Freeman Dyson in ("A Glorious Accident", W. Kayzer ed.)