Re: assigning final grades

Michael Edmiston's experience at Bluffton is repeated at many
schools, including mine, though perhaps the discrepancy between
science and nonscience GPAs is not quite so wide here. It is
still quite large, and the university has a large number of
scholarships it awards solely on the basis of GPA. Our science
students are disadvantaged in the competition for these. I was
for many years a member of the awards committee here and I
tried to address this problem by introducing a simple
normalization correction. The innumerate Arts types across the
table from me couldn't understand my concern and even said what
I was proposing would be unfair.

Leigh