Re: UCLA physics course (non-rant)

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Joel Rauber wrote:

I checked the on-line syllabus of the infamous UCLA Physics 10 course and
found it interesting that "C" is referred as the minimum passing grade. At
our university "D" is the minimum passing grade. We do require a 2.0 GPA
for graduation which does mean for every passing "D" you make you must at
least make an equally weighted "B". And there are some individual grade
requirements in some majors for some specific courses or set of courses.

What is the state of affairs at other institutions in the Phys-L community??

At most of the places I've taught (and it's been a few!) including here at
Cal Poly Pomona, students taking courses pass/fail or credit/no credit
must earn the equivalent of a C to "pass" or to receive "credit". They
must also maintain a 2.0 or better to be in good academic standing and
eventually to graduate. On the other hand, students earning D's in
courses are considered to have completed them and need not repeat them to
satisfy the graduation requirements. In certain situations prerequisite
courses must be "passed with a C or better."