Re: Grading schemes(outrage)

I'm outraged by the state of affairs mentioned regarding the requirements
for a C grade and agree with the below. Showing up really does seem all
that is required as mentioned below.

Furthermore, since I'm outraged (and I really am) I'm going to say something
outrageous: If what is stated on the syllabus is true (taken at face value,
interpreted as Rick interpreted it), then I'd say the instructor of that
course is at minimum lacking in academic integrity (i.e. has none) and
probably it can be said is lacking in intellectual integrity. I don't know
what pressures the instructor is under from his/her bosses and institution;
but if those requirements (or lack thereof) stem from those pressures then
those entities are lacking in academic integrity. It is in some sense
unfortunate that the discipline (profession) lacks the mechanisms to enforce
some minimum levels of integrity as the legal and medical disciplines have,
but we don't. I applaud Mark Shapiro's efforts on the web page he brought
to our attention as then only means of showing our opprobrium for that state
of affairs, namely *loud public ridicule*. Don't let your colleagues get
away with such nonsense, without such ridicule.

I now step down from the soapbox.

Joel Rauber

BUT......according to what is written below, the student can
get ZEROs on
both the midterm and the final and still get a C--as long as
they show up!
Is this really any different from not showing up at all? Again, no
criterion on the homework and paper, just turn it in. Seems
to me I could
get a C in that course with only a few hours of time
invested--maybe three
hours showing up for the two exams (do I have to stay the
whole time?) and
an hour or two scribbling some nonsense for the homework
assignments and
the
paper. I surely hope that the actual requirements include
some minimal
performance criteria for the exams, homeworks, and paper.

Rick