Re: Tutoring

Michael Edmiston notes

We all know that students in physics classes sometimes need extra help.
snip......
Students needing help might imagine several ways of getting it.

(1) See the professor during office hours.
(2) Go to a recitation section led by a graduate student or upper-level
student.
(3) Go to a "help desk" staffed by a graduate student or upper-level
student.
(4) Get a personal tutor to spend 2-4 hours per week helping one
student study, solve problems, write lab reports.

At Bluffton College I am already doing options 1 through 3.

snip....

The situation at Rice is similar, although a bit more limited. Option
1 is always available in all classes, and we are small enough that it
is practical. Instead of option 2 we offer optional 'tutorial
sessions' for beginning courses only, at scheduled times, led by a
grad student or advanced undergrad. Option 3 does not exist, to the
best of my knowledge. Option 4 is a possibility, but the university
will pay for only a few hours per student per semester, and only in
intro courses. After that the student is on his/her own.

All of the tutoring services offered (Except option 1!) are paid for by
the office of academic advising, using people the department finds. As
Michael notes, finding good tutors is a perennial problem because there
are not enough qualified individuals who want to do the work. It is
further complicated for us because of affluent surroundings, where
parents are willing to pay $30-$50/hour for high school homework
help. Potential tutors obviously prefer that to $10/hour for a group
session.

If at all possible, try to get you dean to recognize that option 4 is
neither feasible nor appropriate. Your 'competition' doesn't do it so
there is no reason for you to either.

Hope this helps a bit.

Stan