Re: speed of light

At 11:11 10/6/99 -0700, Daniel wrote:

...I'd like to be able to explain a simple experiment (like Jupiter's
moon observations or rotating mirrors) to my kids that they might
replicate for a science project that would yeild a measurement on the
right order of magnitude.

Dan MacIsaac

It's no surprise to me. Even launching an edge down a coax
and watching the reflection back from the discontinuity
is wonderful!

One step further, and trapping the reflection of a
strobe lamp with a telescope and a photocell or pm tube would
be a magical experience for suitably disposed kids, I imagine.
Another step, and its a detected moonbounce with microwaves.

Has anyone looked for a reflected supernova flash off adjacent
stellar objects? (It would have to be a glancing reflection,
I imagine if one had the ..er.. 1988 event in mind?)

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK