Re: A. Einstein and science-fairs

Of course Robert Cohen, Richard Tarara, (and probably many others) are
correct that there is significant value in science fair projects that
are long on process and short on science content. And they are also
correct that for the younger kids, the science content (such as why
does it work) is a challenge; so process may be the best thing for most
kids.

I apologize if my ranting and raving has drawn readers to conclude that
I don't value teaching students good analysis/process skills.

What I am doing is lamenting about several things I have noticed:

(1) Science fair organizers (many teachers in general) tend to believe
there is a rigidly defined "scientific process."
(2) Many don't accept projects outside that narrow definition.
(3) Scientific process is pushed so hard that science content hardly
matters any more.
(4) My memory (which may be fallible) is that this is a change from the
way science fairs worked 30 years ago.

As a parting shot, let me say that I don't especially feel that science
necessarily deserves credit for, nor should be the primary champion of
"the scientific method," if what is meant by this is doing well
designed studies, taking good notes, and drawing conclusions supported
by the data. Economists, artists, lawyers, etc. (you name it) all
ought to work this way. I would rather call this "critical thinking
skills" or "analysis skills" or something like that.

My point, then, is that today's "science fairs" might as well be called
"analysis fairs." Certainly the bulk of what I have seen as a judge
would fall into the category of "consumer analysis" or
"psycho-behavioral analysis." Heaven's, I've even seen acceptable
projects in astrology... acceptable because the student defined the
study well, interviewed sufficient people of various zodiacal signs to
make the teacher happy, and concluded that Aries people are more
aggressive than Virgo people. I'm so tired of that, and have
complained so much to my wife, that when I come home from judging a
fair she has the habit of preempting my impending tirade by asking...
"Well, did you get to judge any REAL science projects today?"

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817