Re: A. Einstein and science-fairs

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Edmiston <edmiston@BLUFFTON.EDU>

I think there is little science content in a stain remover project
UNLESS the student tries to find out why xyz is better than abc. Was
one a degreaser but the other was an enzyme? Hmm, what's a degreaser?
What's an enzyme? What's in spaghetti sauce? Or another line of
reasoning...Does it make a difference what kind of fabric is used? If
so, why do some fabrics bind the stain more. Is this a natural versus
synthetic thing? How are synthetic fibers different than natural
fibers?

The projects I see are always heavy on process and essentially nothing
on science content. This year I will see at least three stain remover
projects. I will ask each student why xyz worked better than abc, and
each student will shrug his/her shoulders. But I hope that when
someone asks Jessica why her amplifier has two big transistors rather
than one, that she can give some sort of explanation of push-pull
amplifiers and why it's important. If they ask her what the
transformer does, I hope she can tell them. If she is asked why the
transistors are bolted to this big hunk of metal with fins, I hope she
can tell them.

But do you really expect a 4th or 5th grade student to be able to explore
and understand these answers? They CAN design and do the experiment. With
a really well designed experiment the student can be encouraged to expand it
for 'next year's' project by exploring the whys. I would certainly not
underestimate the value of the process, especially for the younger students.
I say this having struggled through labs today with my Freshman/Sophomore
'liberal arts' class where they had the hardest time grasping the concept
that we wanted to hold the mass of a system constant while we varied the
applied force and measured the acceleration. When it was suggested that
THEN we fix the force and vary the mass, well.......;-(

I personally think the students get much more from this type of project than
they do from the 'Test a variety of materials with a magnet and classify
objects as to whether the are attracted to the magnet or not.' Every fair
sees a half-dozen of these projects with 1 out of 20 students having any
sense about the 'whys'.

Rick