From: Leigh Palmer <palmer@SFU.CA>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Monday, October 04, 1999 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: Caboose?

'Caboose' I can understand, 'barge'--well maybe, but
'mule' and 'canal'!
There are (or should be) limits beyond which we simply
can't pander to
student ignorance.

I have lots of immigrant students. I gave a problem Friday
with the word
"colonize" in it. Three students asked me what it meant; all were
relatively new to English.

Leigh