Caboose?

Maybe a few of you would find this amusing:
On an exam last Friday I used a well-worn problem about a short, two-car
train, including a crude sketch looking reasonably similar to the real
thing. One question was, "What is the force is exerted on the caboose by
the boxcar?" During the exam, at least 2 or 3 students approached me with
the same question (which I had never heard until this year): "What is a
caboose?" (Apparently there is a "generation gap" developing here, and
cabooses are headed down the same path as distributors with points and
condensers!)

Fred Lemmerhirt
Waubonsee Community College
http://chat.wcc.cc.il.us/~flemmerh/physics.html