Re: Doing math versus editing it.

It takes some time to be able "to do writing" on a typewriter
(or word processor) for somebody who did it only with a
pen or pencil before. But not too much time. On the other
hand, "doing mathematics", as opposed to "editing what has
already been done", seems to impossible with a program such
MathType. Numerous distractions toward "how to do it"
do not promote mathematical thinking.

Are you judging the difficulty of editing a GIF? If so, don't
make GIFs until you are through editing. Equation Editor will
produce objects which can be transferred to Word and back for
reediting, no problem. My earlier comment (that you would need
to have special fonts to read equations produced by these
applications) was predicated on the assumption that the Word
documents in question contained the original Equation Editor
objects rather than GIFs made of them. The latter are likely
to be of the 72 or 75 dpi sort which are greatly inferior
typographically to the originals. I would never use GIFs for
equations which are to be printed. They are intended for
screen use only.

Leigh