Re: Dull Razors

One of the main reasons older razor blades lasted such a short time and
newer SS blades last longer is the reduced corrosion rate of SS blades.
As a result of the corrosion, the blade edge becomes embrittled and
pieces break off for there reasons mentioned. The hairs are thicker and
tougher than the blade edge, and it is the embrittled edge which
degrades. Stropping can remove some of the corroded material, thus
revealing a sharpened edge. While I hadn't thought of it before, I
suspect that shaving creams with lubricating oils tend to coat the blade
edge limiting the corrosive embrittlement.
It is also the case that SS being somewhat more ductile than hardened
steel with bend at the edge as well. Such bending can lead to
microcrack formation which further enhances corrosion.

cheers

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999,