Re: WORD Equation editor help needed

OK, let me take this question by question (I almost sound like I'm
giving one of my computer literacy lectures)

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Suppose I use MathType to create and save a document,
say several lines, of equations.

1) Would it be possible to place phrases, such as "therefore"
or "substituting 5.3 into 7.4 we get" between the lines
of math ?

Yes, you can in two ways. You can insert a single equation, click
outside the insertion box, and type as you regualrly would. Word will
word-wrap and include space to house the equation in the body of the
text if you'd like. The other option is to remain inside the equation
editor, type the equation, hit enter and type the text, hit enter and
type the equation, etc. This will require you to format the text as
text not math, and you cannot use the space bar, you will need to insert
spaces between your text. I have done it both ways.

2) What is the type of files created by MathType?

Encapsulated Postscript (eps), GIF, and WMF are capable from the
program.

3) Can a MathType document be inserted into the Microsoft
Word document in the same way a clip arts picture is
inserted?

Absolutely, just save it as a WMF, and you can use it and treat it like
clip art. HOWEVER, when you install Mathtype, it creates a button on
the button bar of Word, so you can just click on the button and use it
like a plug-in.

4) Can MathType documents be saved as GIF or JPEG files
to be used on Internet?

GIF yes, JPEG no. However, JPEG is primarily used for color
photographic style. That is why GIF works so well here. If you want
JPEG, save it as GIF, and use Paint, or some such, to change the file
type. Since GIF is smaller, and takes less time to transmit over the
'net, I wouldn't make the change.

5) Where would one order MathType? How much does it cost?

Try http://www.mathtype.com for all information.

Peter Schoch
SCCC
pschoch@nac.net