College nowadays: was Scientific method was physical pendulums/ an opportunity

This brings up an interesting point. The figures below seem to indicate
that a college education is no longer an education of 20% but now
approaching quasi universality. When 90% of the population gets a college
diploma, it will no longer signify as much learning and ability as it used
to. Presumedly because the average of 90% of the population must be lower
than the average of 20% of the population (loosely speaking I hasten to say,
since only roughly 50 years ago were the college students the higher 20%;
there is enough quibble room to drive a proverbial Mack truck through my
above statements; but I think they are roughly correct). Which means the
learning that the people are expecting to occur in college, can not occur
any more.

and as a side effect, more and more employers will start requiring a
master's degree, not for any reason other than it helps them in sorting the
applications.

BTW I'm all in favor of trying to improve the system; but I do think we
should acknowledge that a college education isn't what it used to be.

Joel Rauber

I am just out of a ceremonial inauguration of our 8th college (now
university) president. She just reminded us that a century ago only
4% of the US population went to colleges, half a century ago it
was 20%, and now it is 70%. That is the source of our "troubles",
and an inspiration for challenges. As long as they want it, she said,
we should be happy, and try to improve the system.

Joel Rauber wrote:

Hi Paolo-
You ask:
Forgive me, but I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean that
students coming from high school are unable to use algebra
and solve m a = m g and the like symbolically? ....

The sad fact is that many of our students in introductory
physics, more
so
the 1-semester physics for poets class than the calculus
based course,
(the
algebra based course lying in the middle) can't do the
symbolic algebra.
remember a talk from Cliff Swartz, where he was talking
about this sad
fact
and mentioned that is one of the reasons the Navy taught
three forms of
ohms law

a) V = I R

b) I = V / R

c) R = V / I

It is a sad and depressing fact. BTW I also notice the same
phenomena
Jack
mentions below.

Joel Rauber