Re: "first form an hypothesis..."

I see the scientific method as more of a circle than a straight line with
a beginning (hypothesis?) and an end. How does one form an hypothesis
without having any observations on which to based the hypothesis? On the
other hand, how does one know what to look for (observe) without some idea
of what one expects to see? Observations and hypothesis go hand in hand.

If I had to choose, however, I suspect observations are a more crucial
first step. Suppose I am in a world where our the laws of nature are
completely different. What do you think will happen if I fdshz a xzycx (a
"xzycx" is a strange-acting object only found in this place and "fdshz" is
something one can only do with a "xzycx")? One can say that we could start
by predicting that the motion will be the same as if someone drops a ball
here on earth, but who cares? The first step is really just to try the
darn experiment and see what happens.

P.S. I believe there are similarities with science teaching as well (as in
the learning cycle or similar approaches).

| Robert Cohen Department of Physics |
| East Stroudsburg University |
| bbq@esu.edu East Stroudsburg, PA 18301 |
| http://www.esu.edu/~bbq/ (570) 422-3428 |