Re: A stinking explanation ?

I will think about what John wrote. Meanwhile here are two
quick clarifications.

John Mallinckrodt wrote:

This may be technically true, but I think it is a little misleading.
To consider a wave "extraordinary" it must have at least some
component of its E-field parallel to the optic axis. (I am restricting
my consideration to uniaxial substances like quartz.) If a wave
propagates along the optic axis, then both linear polarizations are
necessarily identical in every respect.

Why do you think a parallel component of E is necessary?
The E-wave is polarized in the principal plane while the
O-wave is polarized perpendicularly to the E-wave. In that
way they are not identical. I am also considering uniaxial
crystals only.

Consider a quartz plate whose optical axes are

(?? I assume you mean to say "whose optical axis is")

also normal to its flat surfaces. ...

The plural was intentional. Any axis parallel to an optical
axis is also an axis. In crystallography an axis is a direction,
not a unique line, as for the axis of rotation. This is not
essential here, we can say "axis", if you prefer.
Ludwik Kowalski