Re: Being careful with dimensions (was Re: i,j,k things)

I think it is amazing that the unit vector thread has produced the
divergent views it has, and also has produced some converts (me
included) who realized they might not have been viewing things 100%
correctly (or "positively pedantic" as Joel Rauber says).

Here is something pretty basic in our everyday teaching, and we do not
all view it the same. That's amazing. And it also is another example
of the wonderful value of e-mail and lists like this.

To answer Joel's most recent question about where we stash the units
when we write it, I use both methods. I typically would write F =
(2N)i - (3N)j if I remember to do so. However, it I get in a hurry and
write down F = 2i - 3j, and I realize: oops, I forgot the units, then I
can easily fix this (without erasing) by putting in parentheses and N
to yield F = (2i - 3j) N. But that's not my preference.

One reason I do it only as an accident is because it somehow seems
wrong to associate the units with the complete vector (i.e. both the
magnitude and the direction). I would ask this, if you routinely write
F = (2i - 3j) N, would you also write F = (3.61 at -56.3-degrees)
newtons?

I would not typically write that. I would write F = 3.61 N at -56.3
degrees.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817