Re: i,j,k things.

Je 02:53 AM 9/21/99 -0400, John Denker skribis:

At 10:29 AM 9/22/99 -0400, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

We call i,j,k unit vectors because
they become vectors, not because they are vectors by themselves.

I wouldn't have said that. If i, j, or k is a unit vector, then it is a
vector --- as surely as a gallon jug is a jug. Any vector that happens to
have unit length is a unit vector. Any jug that happens to hold one gallon
is a gallon jug. There's nothing deep about the concept.

Right. Last time I sat down to make that point I first read the remaining
messages in the thread and found that others had said it already and, no
doubt, better. But the thread continues -- much to my surprise, so I'll
jump in after all. So a couple of points:

1. unit vector = vector with unit length (i.e., length = 1, in the units
being used)

2. We most often use the basis {i,j,k}, a set of orthogonal unit vectors,
related by the right hand rule (i.e., i x j = k), but frequently other
bases are more convenient, hence spherical-polar coordinates, etc., etc.

3. In intro classes we define a vector as something which "has magnitude
and direction". This is equivalent to saying that a vector can be
decomposed into components. Then every vector can be represented in terms
of a basis set by an ordered n-tuple, in 3 dimensions using cartesian
coordinates: (x,y,z).

4. With this representation, i, j and k may be considered to be shorthand
forms for (1,0,0), (0,1,0) and (0,0,1), respectively. This is consistent,
since for example,

r = xi + yj + zk
= x(1,0,0) + y(0,1,0) + z(0,0,1)
= (x,0,0) + (0,y,0) + (0,0,z)
= (x,y,z)

(But this works for any basis, not only for {i,j,k}.)

5. Using components in 3-dimensions (and _any_ basis), a unit vector is
any vector (A,B,C) such that A^2 + B^2 + C^2 = 1.

To do more, I think we may need linear algebra.

All the best / ^Cion bonan!

Ken

| Ken CAVINESS Physics at Southern Adventist University |
| caviness@southern.edu ESPERANTO = Lingvo internacia |
| http://southern.edu/~caviness/ E-o/English/Français/Deutsch |