Re: fuel-air explosives and the next highschool "event"

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Lois Breur Krause wrote:

And therein lies the source of my wish.

My experience was similar, although I withdrew rather than allow myself to
feel anger. I thought it was my fault, I was to blame, I wasn't smart
enough or good enough, or socially acceptable for some unknown reason. I
guess it might be a gender thing. Girls who are nerds (at least in my
case) become isolated by choice, to avoid the hurts. Self image suffers,
etc. Suicidal tendencies abound. Too often one friend, and a pact.

If you have any students in that situation, please direct them here:

http://www.amasci.com/we-nerds.html

Note in particular the several pages such as Nrrd Grrl, cybergrrl, and
Geekgirls webring. The net punctures our aloneness. We can turn our
"failings" into our greatest source of strength. (If you can suggest
other links, I'm all ears.)

If I had one wish for our nation,
I would wish for a turn about of what we value in a person.
We value athletic prowess, and not intelligence.
We value physical attractiveness, and not beauty of the soul.
We value cunning and wealth, and not honesty and integrity.
These lessons should be taught to our youth.
Instead our schools demand athletic competition of every student,
and denigrate the scholar.
Failing to reward excellence rewards failure. - Dr. L. Breur Krause

Excellent! (Hey, is it on WWW anywhere? Can I add it on my page above?)
This is the competition vs. cooperation problem. Perhaps you will enjoy
this page of mine:

HERETICAL EVOLUTION: COOPERATION
http://www.amasci.com/weird/hevolv.html

The Cooperators are rising in numbers and in power, and I suspect that the
end of the predatory human "Competitor" culture is just a matter of time.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com