Re: Cold Fusion Discussion

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

Some CF-skeptics say "if their research is a success, then they'd hold
press conferences!" Right.

The press-conference style of publishing results was practically
perfected by CF proponents on day 1.

True, but you seem to be changing the subject. We are not talking about
journal publication or pure research, we are talking about commercial CF
concerns like Ceti and Blacklight Power. Commercial companies would be
EXPECTED to do advertizing or to issue press releases.

But this does not release them from the requirement to do good honest
science. At least in the eyes of the investors.

Certainly. But we would still expect them to do press conferences, and it
is a mystery to me why you would attack their normal publicity methods.
It might be questionable if pure-research people get dollar-signs in their
eyes. But I don't understand why you would accuse a commercial concern of
indulging in "science by press conference."

In addition, I see the skeptics' "science by press conference" accusations
as an emotional ploy. It's an effective way to assasinate characters, but
is not a ploy to be proud of. Look at the Wright brothers. How dare they!
They didn't publish in any proper science journals! They performed
"science by press conference", and moved to Paris so they could publicize
their resarch. How offensive! ...yet for earth-shaking discoveries, we
might expect the discoverers to not follow requirements of decorum,
especially if journal editors were rejecting all papers in that particular
field. Disovering the answer to mankind's prayers tends to tempt one into
violating decorum. When the CF-disbelievers accuse Pons/Fleichman of
"science by press conference", I think to myself "Yeah, right, and if the
Skeptics had made the discovery themselves, they would waste no time in
rushing to the nearest telephone and calling the papers."

Hmmmm. In your message I think I detect a note of "these disgusting CF
proponents are all the same! Even the commercial companies do science by
press release!" Perhaps I'm wrong. I hope it's just my imagination,
and you aren't falling into hate-think.

You do have an [over-active] imagination. You are wrong.

Very well. I hope that it's only I who see such things. If others on
PHY-L do as well, then it might not just be my imagination.

(Also, I regard an over-active imagination as something to be extremely
proud of. In the long term we'll see whether my assesment is right.)

All throughout the entire CF controversy we find the idea that CF
experiments must be easy to perform. In my opinion, the CF phenomenon was
dismissed on the grounds that it HAD TO BE easy to achive, and when simple
experiments did not exhibit any odd effects, this "proved" that CF did not
exist.

And now who is changing the subject so, to speak? At the start, there
were 3 CF proponents: Pons/Fleischmann (PF), and Jones. The former
barnstormed the world with table-top energy, without considering even
the simplest of questions, theoretical or experimental.

In what way did they not consider simple questions? Might this be about
the theoretical impossibility of the phenomena? You're certainly right
that P&F didn't look closely at the details of theoretical predictions.
If they had, they'd have known that the effects they observed had to be
impossible. And perhaps they would have not published. (If CF is bogus,
this would be a good thing. If CF is real, then Pons/Fleichman would have
self-censored an embarassing observation (embarassing because it reveals a
flaw in contemporary condensed-matter theory.))

In experimental science it's certainly OK to report observations without
first clearing them with the Theorists to make sure the observations don't
violate theory. If experimentalists self-censor results at the wishes of
Theorists, then Theory will forever be preserved from the nasty
depredations of genuinely inexplicable physical phenomena.

P&F also pulled some amazing blunders. They reported gammas and neutrons,
and the test of time has shown their measurements to be totally imaginary.
They even displayed a "belief bias" when skeptics pointed out that their
gamma peaks were in the wrong place for a certain fusion reaction, and
their later papers showed the peaks in the *right* place. I vaguely
recalled that they offered a sensible explanation for this, but I don't
recall what it was.

If I recall correctly, other CF-believers who replicated the CF phenomenon
did not find gammas. The CF phenomenon is known to produce anomalous heat
and helium (even tritium), but any other products are sporadic and hard to
measure (maybe real, maybe artifactual.)

Jones was
just quietly doing science. The idea that CF experiments were easy to
perform was *created* by the grandfathers of the modern CF phenom:
PF, and their grandson, Bockris. Not the detractors! CF has been
hobbled by this ever since, entirely through their own fault. No one
to blame but themselves.

They certainly did push the idea that CF equipment was far simpler than a
Tokamak. On the other hand, I remember thinking to myself in 1989 that
this had better be a simple experiment that anyone can perform, because if
it is not, then everyone will fail, and they will blame the experiment and
not themselves. I thought, "What if the 'heathkit instructions effect' is
in force, and the originators are accidentally performing some obvious
little act which ends up making the experiment work, yet they don't put
this in the instructions, and nobody else ever performs that same little
act?" (Heathkit published marvelous instructions, because they watched
people build their kits, then they changed the instructions when problems
such as the above were encountered.)

I can just imagine the conversations:

Researchers: We attempted replication, but nothing happened!

Pons/Fleichman: Well, did you use Pd from XXXXX company?

Researchers: No, what does that have to do with anything?

Pons/Fleichman: We found out that only the PD from XXXX works. We
don't know why. Maybe other mines have a contaminant.

Researchers: OK, now we have the right Pd, but still nothing happens!

Pons/Fleichman: How many times do you re-cast the Pd under vacuum?

Researchers: What does that mean?

Pons/Fleichman: Pd is full of hydrogen. You have to melt the stuff
down in a vacuum chamber in order to drive off the H.
We do this repeatedly, and if we don't, CF won't work.

Researchers: OK, now we have made non-H Pd. But the experiment
still fails!

Pons/Fleichman: How long do you run your cells for?

Researchers: A week or so. Why?

Pons/Fleichman: We found that the effect only occurs if we run our cells
for many weeks at low current. If we try to hurry
things along by running them at higher current for
shorter time, failure is guaranteed.

Researchers: OK, we did as you said, and we did see one cell do
something odd (it boiled away it's entire electrolyte)
But this was just one cell out of about 20 trials. What
are we doing wrong?

Pons/Fleichman: You are incredibly lucky. We only see the effect occur
about five times less often...

See the problem? If everyone assumes that the Pons/Fleichman paper is
some sort of "Heatkit instruction manual", then the replications will
fail. Guaranteed. Direct collaboration with P&F was required, but this
was not discussed during the 1989 controversy.

The above scenario describes a (fictional) way in which openminded
researchers would become "CF-converts". I suspect that the above scenario
was incredibly rare. Instead, the process might go like this:

Researchers: We attempted replication, but nothing happened!
This "CF" stuff is a fantasy, and Pons/Fleichman are
not competent to investigate physics, and they do Science
by Press Conference, and if they're not just fooling
themselves, then they are pulling a fraud just to draw
attention to themselves.

If CF phenomena are very difficult to coax out of the equipment, then
everything changes. In my opinion, the CF disbelievers relied a bit too
much on this idea of "easy CF."

Hah! See above. When disbelievers mentioned this to PF, they were
ridiculed.

Pons/Fleichman ridiculed the disbelievers? Because the disbelievers
claimed that the experiment was not easy to perform? I don't remember
this event (although it certainly could have slipped by me.)

Pons/Fleichman's own results were pretty sporadic, and they only saw the
effect rarely, after doing large amounts of work. If you would, please
describe this ridicule in more detail. Perhaps it will jog my memory.

In fact, CF *believers* relied too much on the idea of
easy CF.

Non-scientist "believers" probably did so. This is besides the point. If
the bystanders in the controversy argue over the ease/difficulty of the
experiments, it has no bearing on the professionals who attempt
replications. On the other hand, if the professionals come to believe
that the experiment is easy, they will give up prematurely when results
are not forthcoming, and will declare CF to be pathological science.

I don't know the thinking of the scientists who succussfully replicated
the CF effects. If they went through that whole vacuum-recasting process,
then I don't see how they could ever imagine CF experiments to be easy
(unless they were comparing them to experiments in conventional fusion.)

The very first challenge to PF took place in PF's lab. That
challenger was not sneering, and did *not* believe that CF must be
easy. And he went into it with an open mind. He gave PF ample
opportunity to expand their measurements and create the first
independent ancillary evidence of their effect. When the initial
experiments were negative, PF, in a haze of distrust and YES,
CONSPIRATORIAL PARANOIA, turned down the opportunity to explore it
more. Unfortunately, their fate was then sealed, and what could have
potentially been retrieved from the mire of science by press
conference was forever besmirched. All CF proponents labor under this
cloud, whether serious or crackpot.

I must reveal my ignorance. Which challenger was this?

(Also, this "conspiracy" issue has arisen again. If P&F accused
colleagues of being against them, then that has nothing to do with
conspiracy. Look at the CF controversy. Within a few months, everyone is
against P&F! If P&F thought that everyone was supporting them, only
*then* would they be delusional.)

I say let them give a Wright Brothers demonstration. When and if it
happens, all the more sweet will be their victory.

The trouble is, it might not happen, ever, and the reason for it could
very well be from the negative effects of widespread disbelief.

Delayed perhaps, but widespread disbelief has no more power to cause
an event to not happen than widespread gullibility has the power to
cause an even to happen.

I disagree. "Pathological Science" is no laughing matter. If researchers
believe in a phenomenon, then they are in danger of talking themselves
into seeing things which do not exist. (Feynman in CARGO CULT SCIENCE
discusses this issue regarding rat-running experiments.) In other words,
"gullibility" causes events to happen! :) At least, in the minds of its
victims it does. And the converse is also true: negative beliefs can
cause blindness. That's what Sir Arthur is talking about in this quote
that I keep beating everyone with:

"It is really quite amazing by what margins competent but conservative
scientists and engineers can miss the mark, when they start with the
preconceived idea that what they are investigating is impossible. When
this happens, the most well-informed men become blinded by their
prejudices and are unable to see what lies directly ahead of them."
- Arthur C. Clarke, 1963

Ah, but I forgot. Arthur C. Clarke has become a Cold-Fusion believer.
Therefore we can discount everything he ever said about the dangers of
closed-mindedness and "pathological disbelief," and about aging scientists
who declare certain phenomena to be impossible.

See Clarke's essay in SCIENCE:

Presidents, Experts, and Asteroids
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/280/5369/1532

"Even more controversial than the threat of asteroid impacts is what I
would call perhaps one of the greatest scandals in the history of
science, the cold fusion caper..."

Obviously Sir Arthur has become old and dotty. (Ah, but remember that
Clarke's First Law points out the errors of aging scientists who think new
discoveries are *IM*possible. It also says that aging scientists who
think that new discoveries are possible... are frequently correct.
Hmmmmmm. It looks like Sir Arthur set up "Clarke's First Law" for just
this situation! Very humerous! He only had to bide his time until he had
become an aged expert himself. Those who believe his 1st Law would be
forced to take Cold Fusion seriously, and be forced to doubt any aged
experts who ridicule Cold Fusion.)

:)

A "wright
brothers" demo should not be necessary. To convince people that CF is
real, all that should be needed is replications, and collections of
results investigating the details of the phenomenon. We have these, but
conveniently they only exist in those "disreputable" CF journals, and no
upstanding scientist would ever read such despicable trash. (See how it
works?)

I see these words almost exclusively from those who have had their
own work refused for publication. They develop a belief that since
the established community will not listen to them, the established
community is conspiring against them (sorry Bill, but there is simply
no other word to use here).

Huh? People who say "all that should be needed is replications" are
invariably talking about conspiracy theories? Really? REALLLLLLY?
Or do you mean that, because I complain that CF results are only published
in disreputable journals, then I must be indulging in conspiracy theories?

What is going on here. Perhaps you are not even reading my words, and are
attacking a stereotypical crackpot, rather than attacking what Bill Beaty
actually said above. Or perhaps I misunderstand you. There are NO
CONSPIRACIES Reputable journals refuse to publish CF papers because the
reviewers reject the papers. This indicates to me that "everyone is
against CF", and paranoia has nothing to do with it. Now whether their
bad opinion of CF is justified or not, that is a good question. But if
you think that CF researchers are paranoid conspiracy-theories BECAUSE
they complain that they cannot get their papers published... then your
thinking is very twisted, because in fact, they cannot get their papers
published. This is no delusion on their part.

Who is this "conspiracy theorist" to which you refer above? If a
professional scientist complains that no journal will publish his work,
and you accuse that person of believing in conspiracies, then you do just
the same as Rich T. He accuses me of believing in conspiracies, yet I
never said anything about conspiracies, and I don't believe in them.

(Yes, I'm behaving as a bad crackpot. I won't conform to the stereotype,
and this makes people enraged. If everybody knows that "all these
CF-believers are obvious crackpots," and then the "crackpots" display some
very non-crackpot lines of reasoning, well, something must be done!!!!)

If you accuse the CF-believers of conspiracy-theorizing, then that's a
very serious matter, and you'd better make certain that those people have
actually spoken about conspiracies. If they have, then all is well, and
you've made an honest assesment. On the other hand, if they have not
mentioned conspiracies, then you are guilty of character-assasination, and
of blaming the victim, and of believing a stereotype.

As with Rich T., you seem to be trying and trying to dismiss my reasoning
on the grounds that I believe in conspiracy theories. Please point out
the spot where I indulge in conspiracy theories.

In the first days of CF, there was a
great deal of communication between those in editorial control of
prestigious physics journals and those close to the fray. Any of
these journals would have given their eye-teeth to be the one to
publish confirmation or simply ancillary evidence. In the end, to do
so would have been to compromise their scientific integrity, period.
Because the result was just too superfluous.

This is true. The results were flakey and continued to be flakey. The
effect often is massive, but usually is non-existant. Some researchers
see an occasional massive result, then they spend huge amounts of time
trying to reproduce it. Others see nothing, and therefor see no reason to
waste so much time, and they leap to a position of 100% desbelief.

And over the entire episode hangs the conviction that the results are
impossible, that only high-energy systems can overcome the proton
repulsion, and that therefore the detection of heat and helium *MUST* be
mistaken.

Those journals then
*correctly* backed off from the circus. Refusal to publish hinged on
key questions of science, not of politics. When PF then attempted to
*inject* politics and do science by *lawsuit* (primarily P), they
were properly dismissed. And again, the CF community has suffered.
But they need to look inward for the reasons, not outward.

Because the entire phenomenon is not predicted by theory, it falls totally
outside Kuhnian "Normal Science", and therefor is extremely controversial.
If journals tend to be conservative and to flee from extreme controversy,
then they will step back and wait for the storm to be over. But if they
*all* do this, then the storm will be over quickly, because none of the
overly-controversial pro-CF papers will be published.

Those in the fusion community, in the very early days, were in close
contact with the first ones to enter PF's lab to try to do additional
experiments. You can bet they were interested, but there was not much
fear of embarrassment. They wanted to know if it was real, period.
The first response was definitely one of reviewing the evidence and
rejecting the evidence as wanting. PF's reaction to this was a
conspiratorial one, highly unrepresentative of the larger scientific
community.

Did P&F postulate the existence of conspiracies? Or did they simply
accuse other scientists of being against them? There is a big difference.
When everyone is against you, it is valid to complain. If the complaints
are ignored on the grounds that they are *actually* a deraged accusation
of conspiricies... then that is Demonization of Pons Fleichman. I realize
that it sounds much worse if we accuse P&F of believing in conspiracies,
than if we accuse them of believing that others are against them. But if
we make the former accusation, yet P&F never mentioned conspiracies, then
we are lying in order to strengthen our case against them.

I agree that Pons and Fleichman certainly should take far more
responsibility for their bad behavior. Clearly greed infected them
initially, and they were fighting over precedence regarding a
billion-dollar discovery and possibly the Nobel prize. Not proper
behavior at all. (But we must always keep considering what *we ourselves*
would have done in such a situation. People in glass houses...)

But despite efforts at spin-control, PF became
uncontrollable, shooting from the hip, and hitting the target about
as often as one would expect.

I agree with your assessment. That stuff with the neutrons and the gammas
WAS bogus. And, if P&F were the only ones to see anomalies, the story
would have ended there. However, other researchers achieved replication
NOT of the neutrons or gammas, but of the heat. That's what the EPRI
study reported: no conventional fusion, no proportional neutron output
(which should have killed all bystanders!), yet loads of inexplicable
heat, and significant He which could have been created by some sort of
weird fusion reaction.

One thing for which the "believers" accuse the "disbelievers" is the
disbelievers over-reliance on the 1989 results. P&F made mistakes, and so
the disbelievers properly illuminated these mistakes, and that "killed"
cold fusion. But the darned thing refused to die, because other people
replicated the P&F results (not the neutron results, just the heat.) Ever
since then, the disbelievers place great weight on the mistakes made in
1989, and as a result, they discard all later evidence that came from
other teams besides P&F. It's as if they are trying to say "We killed
Cold Fusion in 1989, and this justifies our refusal to inspect any
later evidence to the contrary."

This darned message is inflating. But I cannot resist relying in detail!
(How large will the repeated replies grow???)

So, one loud voice was able to discredit years of effort in an entire
country of capable physicists and electrochemists? Sorry, but we must
be skeptical of this.

Certainly be skeptical. On the other hand, it only takes one little child
to point out that all of the experts are wrong, and the Emperor is totally
naked. Mr. Rothwell's assertions must stand on their own, and it doesn't
matter whether he is alone in making them, or whether thousands of others
see what he does. In other words, reality is not determined by voting.
If the Japanese were screwed up, then they were screwed up, and we should
review the evidence and judge for ourselves if this was true, rather than
taking a poll to see how many others believe the same thing.

As for me, yes I am a disbeliever,
but I'm still willing to be convinced. But a "pro-CF" argument sounds
pretty weak to me on the surface unless there is new and shocking
evidence. Why, because the "anti-CF" side is no slouch.

If disbelievers refuse to inspect evidence, and if journals refuse to
publish evidence, then the anti-CF side is in danger of winning, but only
because of unseemly tactics.

If true, the believers will have their day. Why oh why is
<http://www.amasci.com/weird/anode.txt> not inundated with hits from
scientists all over the world, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to get
the obvious demonstration of fact? Serious question!

Yes, VERY serious question. It would take an expert a few days to
discover that the results are easily explained. Why has nobody emailed me
their quicky experiments which bursts the "carbon arc" bubble? If someone
on PHYS-L has the time/equipment/expertise to replicate and analyze that
anode.txt experiment, I'd be happy to add a link to their results (or even
host them on my page.)

I suspect that nobody of any reputation would bother to verify that claim.
After all, it comes from the "cold fusion" community. Also, the article
itself is a "toy experiment", not a full-blown paper. It is more like a
"Faraday Experiment". Yet if carbon can be changed into iron, and the
results aren't actually caused by some sort of paramagnetic carbon
compound, then even that crude and simple experiment is extremely
important.

It is there for
all to see, for the taking. No one is stopping it. It even refers to
a premiere journal in the field. Free for the taking. I ask, if for
example I am a disbeliever, what power do I have to stop the
onslaught of this free knowledge, not to mention energy?

All you have to do is ignore it. If everyone else is the same as you,
then the results will "vanish" in the eyes of the science community. As
with the Wrights and the reasoning of that SciAm writer which went
something like "If their claims were real, then reporters would be
swarming all over them, but there is no swarm, and this proves that the
Wright Flyer is just a hoax."

journals. I have known a number of reviewers, even some with
political or personal axes to grind, and have been on the receiving
end of the reviewer's stick a number of times, including rejections.
While there *are* personal and professional biases that exist, in
physics journals anyway there are many self-correcting mechanisms
which do work,

In the case of Cold Fusion, the self-correcting mechanisms fail.
Widespread disbelief causes rejection of papers. Certain knowledge that
CF is impossible (that coulombic barrier) causes rejection of papers. I
hear that some journals have a policy against even reviewing the papers in
the first place. Theory has conquered evidence.

and in 20 years of industrial and/or academic work,
I've never met any serious professional who would buy your argument,

I am making these arguments. But then, I certainly am not a serious
professional in the sciences, so your opinion is correct in my case.

Many serious professionals who have taken up the "Cold Fusion" banner make
the same arguements as I do.

short of those who frankly blame their problems on conspiracy, most
of them using that exact word.

Please supply the names of the people who blame their problems on
conspiracy. I suspect that you believe in a stereotype of the
"conspiracy- theorizing cold-fusion researcher". In my experience, this
sort of researcher is extremely rare. Yes, they do complain loudly that
everyone is against them. But please read my lips: THAT IS BECAUSE
EVERYONE IS AGAINST THEM. They are complaining about near-universal
disbelief, and if near-universal disbelief is real, then no conspiracies
are needed to explain anything.

A target of conspiracy, imagined or
real, will simply never believe that his arguments are demonstrably
flawed scientifically.

You'll have to find your "targets of conspiracy" elsewhere. I postulate
no conspiracies. None of the CF-supporters I know of postulate any
conspiricies. They complain to high heaven that they are attacked by
colleages... but that is because they are attacked by colleagues.

I realize that you cannot be convinced
otherwise, so I, like Mr. Tarara, will shortly conclude my
contribution.

Very well. If you cannot counter my arguments, a good tactic is to become
angry and depart in a huff. One person I lived with used to do this to me
constantly. As soon as it looked like she was losing the argument, she
would end the fight and stalk away fuming. It is EXTREMELY effective.
However, it is not a tactic I would recommend performing in front of an
audience.

Or...

:)

...perhaps CF truely is bogus, and the outcast status of the "CF research
community" is entirely proper. I myself look at the evidence and decide
that CF has about a 95% chance of being real. Does that make me a
"believer"? Of course not. A "believer" believes, and evidence be
damned. Just as disbelievers disbelieve, and evidence be damned.

To paraphrase, I myself look at the evidence and decide that CF has
about a 5% chance (or less) of being real.

OK, you claim to have looked at the evidence. To what "cold fusion"
journals do you subscribe? Or were the flaws in the original P&F
experiments enough to convert you into a 100% disbeliever, and no further
evidence is needed?

I'm trying hard to make a point: "looking at the evidence" means looking
at the evidence. Looking at weak initial evidence, and using this as
justification to ignore all stronger future evidnece, is not a good
definition of "looking at the evidence."

As it did then, the community will ultimately decide the validity,
interim and final.

And this is the problem. If the community decides upon reality by voting
upon it, and if each member of the community assumes that others have
taken a good look at the evidence and then casts their votes anyway, then
something is terribly wrong.

Truely. And those who have purposefully impeded
the advance of science on both sides of the question will ultimately
have their come-uppance. PF have already *rightly* had their
come-uppance. Others have followed. Others will follow. And the rest
will survive with reputations validated or revived.

I hope this is true.

If nobody decides to adopt a stance of integrity, and if nobody points out
the shameful misbehavior of both the "believers" *AND* the "disbelievers",
then I see the clear possibility that CF was real, yet CF was killed by
disbelief because more and more aging CF proponents die off. The "Planck
Effect", if it was always to make proper "judgements" and therefor kill
off the CORRECT set of opponents in a controversy, will then have rightly
killed off CF. But what if the "Planck Effect" is not a rational animal,
and what if it sometimes makes a mistake and kills off the wrong side?

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com