Re: cold fusion

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Barlow Newbolt wrote:

... (1) Can we agree that there can be a small amount of muon induced
fusion in a tabletop experiment, but not enough to make significant
temperature changes? (2) Can we agree that the other types of cold
fusion that are being discussed require us to violate Coulomb's Law and
therefore are unlikely to occur?

I don't think these points are relevant to the discussion. Of course, our
best current theories seem to rule out the CF effect. Indeed, it is
precisely because these theories have been tested in detail and validated
with spectacular precision that the claims of the CF camp seem so
extraordinary. It is why we demand at least similarly extraordinary
evidence. But let's never forget that experiment trumps theory; if that
extraordinary evidence is eventually forthcoming, then the effect is there
regardless of what our theories say or seem to say.