Re: things to do with dry ice?

Use about 3-4 cm^3 of Mg turnings (not powder) and place them in a well
scooped out of the center of one of the blocks. By whatever method you
choose, ignite the magnesium. Immediately place another block of dry ice
on the burning metal. The ultra bright Mg flame will continue to burn
unimpeded by the lack of oxygen. The heat from the reaction can be felt
through the slab of dry ice. When it finally dies out, look at the
residue. The Black Chunks are pure Carbon. The Mg has taken the oxygen
from the CO2! Amazing! Or is it chemistry? ;-)

Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

8.) Burn some magnesium in a dry ice atmosphere. Tomorrow's Friday so
treat yourself right!

I like the burning magnesium demonstration. I invite the local fire
department to view the event. Every year there are rookies that have
never seen something 'burn' in pure CO2. It also makes CO2
extinguishers more available when I need them (if you catch my drift...)

I have to admit ignorance here, and since I do not have any magnesium
handy (trying to get some tomorrow), I have to ask:

What happens? Is it extinguished? Does it burn more violently? What?

Stefan Jeglinski

--
Pete Lohstreter "Reality is merely an
illusion,