Re: i,j,k -- OK, I get it

John is saying I would not have needed to draw it that way. I could
have drawn unit-vector-r one half the distance, one-fourth the
distance, or even 10 times the distance. I now admit that John is
correct, and I admit that I have, for many years, drawn unit-vector-r
as extending one-sixth the way across.

Misery likes company. Please tell me that there are many
others of you
who would have drawn it the same as I.

Mike, I think you give up a little too easily. I'm still convinced that
when I say F = 3 i_hat Newtons; I can consistantly think of the Newtons as
either going with the 6 or with the i_hat; you just have to be consistant.
My preference is to follow what John Mallinckrodt said and associate it with
the 3; but I believe you can be consistant doing it the other way. But
having said that; I draw the unit vector on the blackboard one sixth the
size of the other vector, just as Michael does. I do this so the students
"see" its size as being unity. They are too liable to think otherwise if I
drew the unit vector any other way.

Joel Rauber

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D. Phone/voice-mail:
419-358-3270
Professor of Chemistry & Physics FAX:
419-358-3323
Chairman, Science Department E-Mail