Re: things to do with dry ice?

Hi Stefan,

If you can keep the dry ice long enough, you might consider building a
Wilson Cloud Chamber which as you might already know consists of a pin
set vertically in an enclosed jar. On the head of the pin is glued a
small amount of flourescent material as can be obtained from an old
watch face whose hands glow in the dark. The jar is set on dry ice and
black cloth is draped around the jar as a backdrop. After a few minutes,
one can observe the tracks of particles shooting away from the pinhead.

Ted

P.S. Please send me any ideas you might have for a lesson plan (as I am
currently in a teacher certification program and for an assignment must
show communication of this nature on a ListServ)

Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

Well, &*#^%$ Floyd was a complete bust for us, after the preview
looked dire indeed. Based on my experience with Fran 3 years ago, I
had procured 2 50-pound blocks of dry ice. Now they are just sitting
in a cooler.

Any good ideas for fun, educational or otherwise???

(tired of making soda-bottle CO2 bombs)

Stefan Jeglinski