Re: Bicycles, trucks, trains

At 10:43 AM -0700 9/16/99, Richard Tarara wrote:

Clearly Leigh has little respect or belief in global energy problems (and he
has certainly railed against the notion of global warming) so it would be of
little use to suggest that the finite and politically fragile nature of
fossil fuel supplies and the strong possibility that the (non-existent)
global warming may trigger a freeze on the use of such fuels might well
produce another 'energy crisis' in the foreseeable future--along with a
whole new set of 'silly' solutions. ;-)

Rick has grossly misrepresented me here. I have never "railed against
the notion of global warming". In point of fact I told my astronomy
students just yesterday* that there is scientific consensus that the
Earth has warmed over the last century by a half degree Celsius, plus
or minus a half degree or so. I hope any readers who have joined the
group since that discussion will recognize the nature of his claim.

I will not characterize Rick's attack on me here, nor will I bother
to discuss the real issues with him. It would be pointless to do so.

Leigh

*This was in response to a question about the relative severity of
winters and summers in the northern and southern hemispheres of
Earth. I wanted to emphasize the fact that it was more difficult to
determine the global temperature history of Earth than it is to
determine the global temperature history of Mars.