Re: i,j,k things.

I think this is just a question of semantics. I view the wording "unit
vector" to imply a vector whose magnitude is one as measured by a ruler
calibrated in whatever unit is being used... hence we could call it
"unit-magnitude vector"... but we shorten that to "unit vector."

One could intepret this statement to mean that, for example, a ruler
calibrated in inches would yield a unit vector of magnitude one inch.
I know that is not what was intended. It does indicate how carefully
we must word our definitions.

I've taken to typing my transparencies and being very careful about
language, especially in definitions. Today's students have language
skills inferior to my own at a similar stage of development. I feel
that it is helpful to them to see examples of grammatically correct
English with clear meaning, and I try to provide that. Of course my
own speech (and stream of consciousnees writing, like this) is not
as carefully thought out as my transparencies.

Language matters - a lot.

Leigh