Optics Labs with Video Capture

To Fellow Physics Educators:

I am teaching an Introductory Optics course this fall and a recent article
in the AJP, March 1999, p. 236 on an experiment involving quantitative
analysis of the Poisson spot using video data capture sparked my interest
in developing one or more experiments that use video capture for the data
source.

Possible experiments might include 1-d and 2-d interference and diffraction
as well as some Fourier image processing.

We currently have a Snappy single frame video capture device and a Video
Blaster board (that we use with World in Motion for our General Physics labs).

Have any of you had experience with this sort of experiment?
What have you done and how has it worked out?
What kind of PC-based hardware and software do you recommend?

Ivan Rouse, Professor and Chair
Physics Department, La Sierra University
4700 Pierce St., Riverside, CA 92515
email: irouse@lasierra.edu
web: http://physics.lasierra.edu/irouse/
phone: 909-785-2137, FAX 909-785-2215