Bicycles, trucks, trains

The thread about bicycle racing reminded me of the old days (1970s) of the
"energy crisis" when truck drivers insisted they would less total energy if
allowed to have double-, triple-, quadruple-, .... bottom trucks. Iowa
allows double-bottom, I think, but nothing more, but I have seen longer
trucks on the road in other states.

Of course, what the truck drivers wanted was something more and more like a
train, except riding on the interstates instead of tracks.

I remember also their insistence that driving 65 mph was really more
energy-efficient (as well as time-efficient) than driving 55 mph. The
Department of Energy (or maybe ERDA in those days) did a test with a group
of identical trucks driving an identical route all around Virginia, but
going at different maximum speeds. The slowest (30-mph) truck was the most
energy-efficient, of course, blowing the truck drivers' argument away.

Laurent Hodges, Professor of Physics
12 Physics Hall, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011-3160
lhodges@iastate.edu http://www.public.iastate.edu/~lhodges