Re: solution to the world's energy needs

The story of the Michaelson-Morley experiment was somewhat like this.
They went looking for a result, but didn't find it. Everyone, including
themselves looked for the experimental problem. Eventually Fitzgerald and
others began to suggest other more fantastic solutions to the problem. By
the time Lorentz, Einstein and others had done their work, the null result
was no longer surprising. Twenty years later, the then president of the
APS redid the experiment and got a non-null result...and of course
everyone once again looked for experimental problems, because the
acceptable theory had changed.

cheers

Have you read "The Golem" by Collins/Pinch? They make the point that
Science does not work as everyone imagines. For the predicted phenomena
and for the very blatent phenomena, things work OK. Troubles arise when a
phenomenon is weak and hard to tease out to display itself. The problem
is amplified a million fold if the phenomenon contradicts widely-believed
theories, and the theories are at fault. Under these conditions,
disbelief can make the phenomenon vanish in the eyes of any disbeliever
(the inverse of 'pathological science'). Cold Fusion might be
patholociacl science... or it might have been "made invisible" because
contemporary fusion theory has some unnoticed flaws, and because
disbelievers are in the majority.

Collins & Pinch note the existence of the following problem. Suppose that
a new advancement in science develops like so:

Theory says that a phenomenon is impossible, yet we observe it.

We are confident that theory is right. Therefor our observations
must be faulty, and we can ignore them as mistakes/artifacts, and
go on to other things.

But what if our observations are correct? But they can't be! How
can we dare to even question, much less modify, such solid theory?

The phenomenon is difficult to produce. Anyone with the slightest
emotional bias against it will invariably make a mistake in attempted
replications, or will give up prematurely before attaining success.

Nobody else believes our reports. We barely believe them ourselves.
Until somebody figures out the location of the "hole" in current
theories which allows such phenomena to exist, Science as a whole
continues to insist that they are just errors in observation (or
maybe hoaxes!)