Letters of Recommendation - Tips on How to Write Them

From: Steve T Ratliff@NWC on 09/15/99 11:47 AM

To: phys-l@lists.nau.edu
cc:
Subject: Letters of Recommendation - Tips on How to Write Them

The thread on letters of recommendation is very interesting. Some helpful hints
on how to write such letters has already been given.

I usually start out with a brief statement of who I am and my experience. I
then usually list the names of the classes in which I have had the student. If
the classes have a lab component, I will make that clear. I then give my
evaluation and try to give reasons for what I say. I think that specific
examples, if you have them, are especially good.

Would anyone else like to share ideas on how to write a good letter?

Regards,
Steven Ratliff

Steven T. Ratliff

Associate Professor of Physics