Re: Letters of Recommendation - Problems

My father was a lawyer, and I asked him about refusing to write a
letter. He said that the worst he could imagine happening is that the
student would go to court and get an order requiring me to write the
letter. In which case I could write "Pursuing to the order
of the court
of ... I am writing you a letter of recommendation for ...." If the
recipient has any sense at all he doesn't bother to read the letter.

In fact, at Delaware we are required to refuse a letter if it will not
be favorable. I have on one occasion had a student with an abysmal
record (who I thought might have some talent actually) who needed a
letter for me to have any chance to get into a program. I
told him that
what I could write would be very risky for him, gave him the
letter, and
told him to mail it if he wished. There is not much danger there.

The obvious question of what would happen if the court ordered you to write
a letter and it would have to be unfavorable; would you be in violation of
your conditions of employment? I am assuming that it is a condition of
employment that you not write unfavorable letters of recommendation. I'm
also assuming that it is a condition of employment that you do not lie on
letters written on "company" stationary; and that you behave in an ethical
manner.

Personally, I'd question a school policy that requires you to only write
letters if they would be favorable; of course, this may be a way save time
on your workload . . . hmmmm

Joel Rauber