Re: Letters of Recommendation - Problems

I enjoyed reading this. Please note this is why most
corporations have
iron-clad policies against providing ANY recommendation, and so state
when one is requested.

And it is rather ironic that sometimes these corporations require a letter
of recommendation for prospective employees. Personally I think these
"iron-clad" policies are cowardly. While on the subject, I'm wondering what
Leigh does when dense student asks for the recommendation and doesn't catch
the hint?

I also have trouble believing that one would really get into legal trouble
for writing a negative letter of recommendation, assuming that you do not
lie about matters of fact in the letter. After all, the letter was
requested by the recipient, and it is clearly understood that for the most
part these are opinions of the author. Mind you, I'm not saying that there
might not be legal hassles, I just think that the recommender would win, in
the end, any legal battles. Again assuming there are not errors of fact in
the letter, malicious lies, misrepresentations of factual occurances, etc.
Of course, many people decide that even if they would win in the end, its
not worth the effort.

Joel Rauber