Re: Letters of Recommendation - Problems

Dan wrote:
<
<Why not just always offer to give the student a copy of the letter?
<What have you got to hide? I don't always do this myself, but I
<know several colleagues who do, and if a student asked for a copy
<of the letter I certainly wouldn't mind.
<-dan

I strongly agree with Dan. If you don't want a student to see what you wrote,
you've got no business writing it. In my opinion (not shared by all, I know)
the whole traditional confidentiality structure inhibits rather than enables
the free flow of honest information about people. If, for example, you feel a
student could be working harder, then tell him or her, not just potential
employers or graduate schools.

JEG

John E. Gastineau john@gastineau.org
PMB #163 http://gastineau.home.mindspring.com
953 National Road (304) 243-9636 voice
Wheeling WV 26003-6440 (304) 243-9637 fax
USA