Re: Humorous Article

Jim Green wrote:

Yes, Doug, for some this _is_ humorous, but this is a bad day for humor in
my world. I see this as the pitiful outcome of our questionable teaching
-- not mainly of the public but of the teachers of the public -- after all
this begins in the elementary schools, on Bill Nye, and in the comics.

It is the irony that I find funny here. Worse examples of physics
explanations abound and I take no smug pleasure in that, however what we
have here is a sales pitch. Most technical sales reps have some
background in the field but would probably be doing something else if
they were really proficient - hence I expect to find *a few* errors.
However, the motivation to learn more in order to make better sales
presentations is a strong one. The irony is that somebody making a
living off of selling these infrared heaters would open his pitch with
such a clueless paragraph. I assume that it is based on technical
material provided by the manufacturer and can only guess whether this is
his own misunderstanding or whether the manufacturer themselves (with
their engineers and possibly even a token physicist) have provided their
agents with promotional material of this calibre.

Doug Craigen
Latest Project - the Physics E-source
http://www.dctech.com/physics/