internal energy

I know that we are having trouble with the concept of heat.
Now it appear that internal energy is in trouble. Please
don't define internal energy as the energy a system has by
virtue of its temperature! If you mix some gasoline vapor
and air together you have some internal energy that is not
directly related to the temperature! WBN
Barlow Newbolt
Department of Physics and Engineering
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450

Young man if I could remember the names of all of
these particles I would have become a botanist
Enrico Fermi
Telephone and Phone Mail: 540-463-8881
Fax: 540-463-8884
e-mail: NewboltW@madison.acad.wlu.edu